15 Quotes on Silence to Bring Powerful Insights to Your Life
Silence holds immense power. When we learn to still the mind, we are able to create what we want in life instead of reacting impulsively because of a restless mind.
Silence helps us understand ourselves and tune in to our inner wisdom and creativity. When we are with people, silence can help us be present and connect with others. When we are stuck or confused, silence brings us enormous insights.
Silence is a long-lasting friend. But we need to nurture it, pay attention to it.
Here are 15 empowering quotes on silence to bring powerful clarity and insights to your life.
1. “Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech.” – Plutarch
Silence has enormous power. It can help you bring an argument to a halt or deepen the connection when you are sharing a wonderful moment with your loved ones.
2. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
What hurts is not when our enemies criticise us, but when we seek support from those we trust and are left alone instead.
3. “Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.” – Josh Billings
Silence is one of the best ways to get your point across. It shows that you can stand your ground after you have made your point.
4. “True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit. What sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.” – William Penn
The mind can take us on a rollercoaster ride. One moment it makes us worry about what happened ten years ago, the next moment it makes us sad about the past. Learn to quiet your mind so that you can harness the power of your spirit.
5. “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” – Elbert Hubbard
Only those that truly know you can understand your silence, not just your words.
6. “Work hard in silence, let your success make the noise.” – Frank Ocean
It’s important to remain humble. Don’t go on announcing every small win, let your success make the noise for you.
7. “Through the portals of silence, the healing sun of wisdom and peace will shine upon you.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
It’s only when you are silent that you can perceive the higher wisdom, higher energy. This is why people are silent when they pray to God. You have to get away from the noise to hear your intuition.
8. “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature — trees, flowers, grass — grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence. We need silence to be able to touch souls.” – Mother Teresa
Nature works in silence. Yet, the flow of the wind, the beautiful sky, trees, and flowers convey the most beautiful story without words when we just look at them.
9. “Sticks and stones are hard on bones aimed with angry art. Words can sting like anything but silence breaks the heart.” – Phyllis Mcginley
Harsh words can hurt us, but what hurts us even more is silence of our loved ones, which weakens our trust in them and eventually, in ourselves.
10. “Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. The great Sufi poet Rumi wrote, Only let the moving waters calm down, and the sun and moon will be reflected on the surface of your being.” – Deepak Chopra
You have to still your mind to bring your inner gifts, your creativity, and wisdom to life.
11. “To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.” – Abraham Lincoln
Learn to speak up when people step on your boundaries. If you aren’t assertive, people will take advantage of you and you will never get what you want.
12. “I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.” – Publilius Syrus
A harshly spoken word is un-eraseable. Often silence is the best option.
13. “Open your mouth only if what you are going to say is more beautiful than the silence.” – Spanish Proverb
It’s not healthy to talk without reason. Speak when you can bring peace, wisdom, or love to the people in front of you.
14. “Silence is foolish if we are wise, but wise if we are foolish.” – Charles Caleb Colton
If we are wise, we know what to do or say, and therefore, to remain silent is foolish. But if we don’t know what to do or say, then we must remain silent until we get the answers.
15. “Everything that’s created comes out of silence. Thoughts emerge from the nothingness of silence. Words come out of the void. Your very essence emerged from emptiness. All creativity requires some stillness.” – Wayne Dyer
From dusk comes the dawn. From darkness, the light defines itself. Similarly, from silence comes our creativity. Every creation, big or small, that you see in the world came from silence.