62 Top Quotes on Gratitude by World’s Greatest Spiritual Teachers
Eckhart Tolle: Quotes on Gratitude
1. Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.
When you love what you already have, it fills you with enthusiasm and energy and as a result, you end up creating more abundance with that positive energy.
2. It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.
When you feel good for the little things – the taste of coffee in the morning, cool breeze flowing on your face, the watchman smiling through his sleepless eyes – you realize that this world is a miracle. And from that point onwards, your spiritual development begins.
3. When you go deeply into the present, gratitude arises spontaneously, even if it’s just gratitude for breathing, gratitude for the aliveness that you feel in your body. Gratitude is there when you acknowledge the aliveness of the present moment.
There are lots of miracles everywhere you go. Fire, electricity, internet, books, poetry, films, art, music, architecture – these are little pieces of heaven, products of human creativity that you can take a bite from. You have got to be grateful to be alive.
4. Being rich/wealthy is being in touch with the fullness of life. When you are open to the present moment, what comes in, is a gratitude for “what is”. When you are aligned with the present moment, there is a peace that comes, so it is like you are experiencing life for the first time, when you become present. When you are in a state of gratitude for what is … that is really what being wealthy means.
When you can feel the flow of life and feel the fullness of the present moment, that’s when you are really wealthy. Many people are torn between the past and the future and that takes away the beauty of the present. Breathe, and become aware of this moment. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
Wayne Dyer: Quotes on Gratitude
5. Be in a state of gratitude for everything that shows up in your life. Be thankful for the storms as well as the smooth sailing. What is the lesson or gift in what you are experiencing right now? Find your joy not in what’s missing in your life but in how you can serve.
We think our problems have something against us, we call it bad luck, blame others. But all darkness, all problems are here to transform us and teach us the lessons we were meant to learn in this life. Thank the Universe for the storms and all the lessons that came along with them.
6. Deficiency motivation doesn’t work. It will lead to a life-long pursuit of try to fix me. Learn to appreciate what you have and where and who you are.
You can’t feel fulfilled by buying new clothes, buying expensive cars, and just filling your cup. The glass will always be half empty if you have this mindset. You need to appreciate your life and do things to express who you are and not to fix yourself. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
7. Upon awakening, let the words Thank You flow from your lips, for this will remind you to begin your day with gratitude and compassion.
If you start your day on a positive note, this feeling translates into your whole day. Gratitude will give you warmth in your heart and the courage to work hard on your intentions.
8. Expressing gratitude for the miracles in your world is one of the best ways to make each moment of your life a special one.
How often do we thank others for just being in our lives? Do something new today, call your old friend or family member whom you love, and tell them you’re so grateful to have them. And see how beautiful it makes you feel.
9. The Universe provides abundantly when you’re in a state of gratefulness.
Some earn $50,000 a year, others earn $5 million a year. But everyone has the same kind of heart, the same kind of mind and the same amount of time in their days. Everyone has access to the creativity and abundance of the universe if you open up to it. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
10. The first step toward discarding a scarcity mentality involves giving thanks for everything that you have.
Thank the Universe for a roof over your head and people who love you to death. If you have these, you are already one of the luckiest people alive.
11. Gratitude is a sacred space where you allow and know that a force greater than your ego is always at work and always available.
We are not here to hoard money, attain status and gratify our egos. Our purpose is to use human creativity to help others and change the world for the better. Be grateful and get in touch with that higher force that wants you to succeed, to do good. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
12. All emanates from Source! …You’re not this body and its accomplishments. You are the observer. Notice it all; and be grateful for the abilities you’ve been given, the motivation to achieve, and the stuff you’ve accumulated. But give all the credit to the power of intention, which brought you into existence.
Your intentions drive your life, consciously or subconsciously. So be grateful for what you can do, your unique talents and then set powerful intentions to make use of those talents. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
13. The only thing that feeling bad accomplishes is to plummet you into anxiety, despair, depression, and stress. In such situations, ask yourself in that moment what THOUGHT you can have that will make you feel GOOD!
A thought is like a vehicle in the spiritual world. It can lead us to a pile of negativity or it can take us to a place full of positivity, optimism, expansiveness, creativity, and wisdom. Choose your thoughts well.
14. Learn to appreciate what you have and where and who you are.
Where you are right now, become present with this person, the ‘present you’. Appreciate how far you have come on your journey and more good things will come your way.
15. It just depends on what you decide to have in your heart. That’s what I’ve learned. That’s where I am at this stage in my life is if we can fill ourselves with love and appreciation for, and be in a state of gratitude. Every event of your life you have an opportunity to be in a state of gratitude for it.
Our mind can fill us with fear. But if we open up our hearts with gratitude, we learn to enjoy life in the present and trust that the future will be fine. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
16. You’ll seldom experience regret for anything that you’ve done. It is what you haven’t done that will torment you. The message, therefore, is clear. Do it! Develop an appreciation for the present moment. Seize every second of your life and savor it.
Instead of having regrets, it’s always better to fully live each and every moment. When you have lived, nor merely existed, all your life, you don’t regret anything.
17. Heaven is a state of mind, not a location.
You can walk heaven on earth if your intentions are pure. Look at Jim Carrey, everywhere he goes he spreads a little laughter and believes that people are good. He even said in a David Letterman interview that “this (present moment, life) is the gift.” We wait for our lives to get better and it takes the joy away from the present. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
Oprah Winfrey: Quotes on Gratitude
18. Every morning when I open my curtains for that first look at the day, no matter what the day looks like—raining, foggy, overcast, sunny—my heart swells with gratitude. I get another chance.
Every day you get a fresh chance at life. Don’t underestimate it. So many people are struggling for their lives due to terrorism, abuse, and poverty. But you get to do something you like. Honor this gift.
19. I know for sure that only by owning who and what you are can you step into the fullness of life. I feel sorry for anyone who buys into the myth that you can be what you once were. The way to your best life isn’t denial. It’s owning every moment and staking a claim to the here and now. And I’m grateful for every age I’m blessed to become.
Who wants to go back and become their past version of themselves? You’ve got this far to learn your lessons and come to your truth. Accept it, own it, live it, and thank the Universe for this journey. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
20. I live in the space of thankfulness — and for that, I have been rewarded a million times over. I started out giving thanks for small things, and the more thankful I became, the more my bounty increased. That’s because — for sure — what you focus on expands. When you focus on the goodness in life, you create more of it.
If you focus on stress due to work, it will expand in your life – your boss will call you to meet deadlines, your colleagues will point out the dark circles under your eyes. Whatever you focus on expands, so why not use this wisdom to create a healthy, powerful life. Focus on the good.
21. Being grateful all the time isn’t easy. But it’s when you least feel thankful that you are most in need of what gratitude can give you: perspective. Gratitude can transform any situation. It alters your vibration, moving you from negative energy to positive. It’s the quickest, easiest most powerful way to effect change in your life — this I know for sure.
Gratitude has the power to transform negativity. And isn’t this all we need? Everyone wants to move from a cold, unloving place in their lives to a loving, warm, positive place.
22. Some days the awareness of the sanctity and sacredness of life brings me to my knees with gratitude. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the idea that the little girl from Mississippi who grew up holding her nose in an outhouse now flies on her own plane — my own plane! — to Africa to help girls who grew up like her.
Think of what you had ten years back. And then think of now. You’ll be surprised at how life has rewarded you and also amazed at how you’ve been ignoring it the whole time.
23. I live in a state of exhilarated contentment (my definition of happiness), fueled by a passion for everything I’m committed to: my work, my colleagues, my home, my gratitude for every breath taken in freedom and peace. And what makes it sweeter is knowing for sure that I created this happiness. It was my choice.
You have to have an appreciation for life. It gives you the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to live, work, and shine! You are the creator. So create a happy life full of vibrancy and joy. Smile, laugh, love, and live! This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
24. Wherever you are in your journey, I hope you, too, will keep encountering challenges. It is a blessing to be able to survive them, to be able to keep putting one foot in front of the other — to be in a position to make the climb up life’s mountain, knowing that the summit still lies ahead. And every experience is a valuable teacher.
Challenges elevate our life to a higher life. At first, they might seem tough, but once we go through them, we come out stronger and better on the other side. You have to thank the Universe for giving you an opportunity to rise higher.
25. The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now. And the more grateful you are, the more you get.
Everyone wants more, more money, a better house, a better car, bigger vacations. You need to savor the here and the now. Because your entire life is captured in the present moment that will pass away without you knowing about it.
26. The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.
We need to be thankful for the human experience. It is in our power to feel joy and bliss just by turning on some music and dancing with our friends. It’s not that hard to feel blissful, but we take it for granted. We can sing, laugh, dance, and marvel at the beauty of life – celebrate this gift.
27. For years I’ve advocated keeping a gratitude journal, writing down five things every day that brought pleasure and gratefulness. Appreciating what shows up in your life changes your personal vibration. Gratitude elevates your life to a higher frequency.
When you remember the things that you’re grateful for, your vibration raises and all negativity dissolves. From this place of positivity and abundance, life becomes a joy to live.
28. I don’t think you ever stop giving. I really don’t. I think it’s an ongoing process. And it’s not just about being able to write a check. It’s being able to touch somebody’s life.
You have the ability to touch someone’s life with your creative abilities. It might not be a huge thing for you, but for them, it may change their entire world.
29. What I know for sure is that what you give comes back to you.
Some people have a scarcity mentality. They don’t share their knowledge with others because they think others will use them to rise above than them. But the truth is that there is enough abundance in this world for everyone to win, to feel content. So don’t be afraid to give. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
30. What you focus on expands, and when you focus on the goodness in your life, you create more of it. Opportunities, relationships, even money flowed my way when I learned to be grateful no matter what happened in my life.
As said earlier, you need to focus on the good in life. Thank the Universe for the people that love you, the home you are given, the ability to read and expand your mind, the ability to enjoy music. You’ll be surprised to know that many people don’t have these privileges.
31. Here’s the gift of gratitude: In order to feel it, your ego has to take a backseat. What shows up in its place is greater compassion and understanding. Instead of being frustrated, you choose appreciation. And the more grateful you become, the more you have to be grateful for.
When we feel we don’t have enough, it’s our ego firing back at us. In such way of thinking, our ego tells us that we need to have a certain social status or a certain type of house to feel happy. As Jim Carrey says, “how tricky is this ego that it promises us with something that we already have – our own light.” The light, the abundance, the joy, the creativity – is inside of you, don’t search it outside.
32. Whenever you can’t think of something to be grateful for, remember your breath. With each breath you take, you can say, ‘I’m still here.’ Make each day a holiday of thankfulness -and give yourself the gift of gratitude!
We take the human experience for granted – the ability to sing, read, talk, get entertained, run, feel joy and bliss. Be thankful that you’re alive, thank the universe for each breath, every day.
Dalai Lama: Quotes on Gratitude
33. I find hope in the darkest of days and focus on the brightest. I do not judge the Universe.
When the weather is bright, everyone can be happy and thankful. But when there are storms, that’s when you need to focus on the good. Realize that everything is temporary and focus on the good.
34. The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.
If you appreciate relationships, you will invest in them and more joy will come from relationships in your life. And if you appreciate religion, you will invest in it, and more religious wisdom and bliss will flow into your life. The things you appreciate, flow in abundance your way.
35. We don’t need more money, we don’t need greater success or fame, we don’t need the perfect body or even the perfect mate. Right now, at this very moment, we have a mind, which is all the basic equipment we need to achieve complete happiness.
The mind is our only tool to experience this life. Yet few of us put in the effort to master it. That’s why many of us have to numb it with alcohol or other substances because it isn’t in our control. You need to use your mind well, adopt an attitude of gratitude so that you can feel abundance flowing your way. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
36. Every day, think as you wake up: Today I am fortunate to have woken up. I am alive. I have a precious human life. I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry, or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.
We can plant the seed for the coming day in the very morning. How you spend the first few minutes of your day largely determine the kind of experience you will have throughout your day. So in the morning, fill your heart with gratitude for every little thing that is given to you.
37. When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, ‘Oh yes – I already have everything that I really need.
There’s no end to wanting more. That’s the nature of the ego. Then how can you experience contentment? The answer is: by practice. You need to feel content every day by focusing on the good. And soon you’ll stop running for more and a natural rhythm will set in.
38. The creatures that inhabit this earth – be they human beings or animals – are here to contribute to the beauty and prosperity of the world. The food we eat, the clothes we wear, have not just dropped from the sky. This is why we should be grateful to all our fellow creatures.
The things that we take for granted – it took years or centuries for human beings to invent them or discover them. From inventing fire to building electricity and airplanes, the human experience gets enriched with each generation – don’t take this human experience for granted.
39. Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend – or a meaningful day.
Time doesn’t wait for anybody. The task is to make use of that time well. Ask yourself, “How can I make it meaningful?” Among all quotes on gratitude, this one stands out.
40. When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect towards others.
When we thank the Universe, we find that a large part of our happiness comes from our relationships. Without our loved ones, we’ll feel lost. So gratitude builds a sense of respect towards them.
41. Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
When you think life has taken something from you, there is a big chance that you were meant to learn from it and change the course. For example, Steve Jobs was fired from his own company. But according to him, it gave him the opportunity to start from scratch and enter one of the most creative periods in his life. It was during this period that he started Pixar, the animation company.
42. For a person who cherishes compassion and love, the practice of tolerance is essential, and for that, an enemy is indispensable. So we should be grateful to our enemies, for it is they who can best help us develop a tranquil mind.
Our best teachers are our worst enemies. Why? Because if they make us uncomfortable and we can’t come to terms with them, there’s something the Universe wants us to learn from them. And until we learn, we will never come to terms with them.
43. Appreciate how rare and full of potential your situation is in this world, then take joy in it, and use it to your best advantage.
We have the opportunity to influence others, enjoy the life we have, and create things out of our imagination. Don’t take these abilities for granted.
Tony Robbins: Quotes on Gratitude XXXXX
44. When you are grateful fear disappears and abundance appears.
Fear tells us that we’re not good enough. But if we see all the good there is in our lives, the lies fear sells us are exposed. And the fear vanishes.
45. Without gratitude and appreciation for what you already have, you’ll never know true fulfillment.
What’s the point of wanting more if you’re not enjoying what you already have? Start appreciating everything you have and this life will turn into heaven.
46. I don’t believe in waiting for great feelings. I need to wire myself for positivity and gratitude. I need to build a highway to those.
You don’t need to wait for a huge change to happen to feel blissful. Understand that you’re the creator of your world. So focus on the good and bliss will come naturally.
47. The antidote to fear is gratitude. The antidote to anger is gratitude. You can’t feel fear or anger while feeling gratitude at the same time.
The root of anger is pain. When we are hurt, we lash out at others so that they don’t hurt us again. And the root of fear is ego – it tells us that we’re not good enough. When we feel gratitude, pain transforms into contentment, and the ego takes a backseat. That’s how fear and anger are defeated. Among all quotes on gratitude, this one stands out.
48. The third element of success is your state: You must replace a default state of pessimism or anger with one of determination, of will, of generosity, of curiosity, of gratitude. The more we can put ourselves in such beautiful states rather than suffering states, the more they become habits of being and we end up making better decisions.
Our emotional nature is an emotional habit. Just as some people have a habit of being lazy, similarly some of us have a habit of being sad and ungrateful. Change these habits, take charge, and see how life turns around.
49. If you’re gonna make a change, you’re gonna have to operate from a new belief that life says life happens not to me but for me.
You are the creator, so it’s in your power to choose a healthy belief for your own good. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
Deepak Chopra: Quotes on Gratitude
50. Gratitude opens the door to… the power, the wisdom, the creativity of the universe. You open the door through gratitude.
When you feel gratitude, you fill your vessel. And when you feel full inside, that’s when you have access to the higher powers – the creativity and wisdom of this world. That’s when you can envision a great future and work towards making it a reality.
51. Gratitude is a divine attitude in the wisdom traditions. It takes you out of the ego self and takes you into the higher self. That higher state of consciousness initiates self-repair, self-regulation, and healing.
It is our ego that hurts us with messages that say “you’re not enough”, “keep running for more”, “money is everything”. In the state of gratitude, ego takes a backseat and we experience true healing. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
52. Gratitude is one of the most effective ways of getting in touch with your soul.
When you thank the universe, you raise your vibration and access the higher powers of self-actualization and self-awareness. From that place, it’s easy to realize who you are the core of your soul.
53. Gratitude is a state of being in which we feel connected to everything in the universe. It is a fullness of the heart that recognizes the blessings of nature within and without. Gratitude is love for the goodness of life itself.
We are all swimming in the same ocean, experiencing it from our different shores. Gratitude is a tool to make this experience full of joy and contentment.
54. My Intent today is to expand the flow of abundance through the energy of gratitude.
Use gratitude as a spiritual tool to invite the abundance of everything into your life. With gratitude, you’ll never have a lack of money or happiness. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
Maya Angelou: Quotes on Gratitude
55. The children to whom we read simple stories may or may not show gratitude, but each boon we give strengthens the pillars of the world.
The more you give, the more you restore others’ faith in humanity and the goodness in the world. So keep giving, keep nurturing others. Among all quotes on gratitude, this really stands out.
56. The ship of my life may or may not be sailing on calm and amiable seas. The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising. Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today I am blessed.
Don’t hate your life due to external things. If you do, you give your power away to the external circumstances. Take your power back and feel good with what you have all the time.
57. Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.
These beautiful, poetic words by Maya Angelou show that gratitude and faith can help you overcome all adversity in life and invite all the goodness of the world.
58. Since time is the one immaterial object which we cannot influence, neither speed up, nor slow down, add to, nor diminish it is an imponderably valuable gift.
Value your time and value those who share their time with you. It’s perhaps the most powerful resource you have. Wise people use it to create great things, create happiness for them as well for others. This is one of the most powerful quotes on gratitude.
Paulo Coelho: Quotes on Gratitude
59. A miracle happened: another day of life.
Be grateful for each breath that flows through you because tomorrow is not promised. Use your time to brings your dreams to life and always ask yourself, “If this were my last day, will I be doing the same thing that I’m about to do?”
60. I must try and enjoy all the graces that God has given me today. Grace cannot be hoarded. There are no banks where it can be deposited to be used when I feel more at peace with myself. If I do not make full use of these blessings, I will lose them forever.
Abundance isn’t stored in banks. It’s a state of being. You have to cultivate abundance by practicing gratitude and doing the things that bring you joy.
61. When we can do nothing else, we can still love, without expecting any reward or change or gratitude.
It’s amazing that in our capitalistic society, how many people lose touch with the best human qualities: empathy, the ability to love, to nurture. No matter how high you rise, never stop being kind and never stop nurturing others. This is one of the best quotes on gratitude.
62. The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.
Whether you want to build a big business or attract the right relationship in your life, you have to be patient. Transformation and success don’t happen overnight. Moreover, whatever is your present situation in your life, you have to embrace it, learn from it, and use it as a tool to grow.